fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Others before us...


Sure enough, my "controversial" entries of late have apparently been too inflammatory.

I have heard one too many racial slur go unchallenged in the last few days. I have had Jehovah Witnesses at my door, and watched one too many news stories about whatever religion claiming truth and God's great blessing, while then calling everyone else "evil" and worthy of death...I am sick of going to work and seeing the damn anti-gay marriage bumper stickers on my co-worker's cars...getting emails that have racial crap in them...

Let me say this loud and clear...I BELIEVE IN SOCIAL ACTIVISM. I am not a "quiet" little girl. Sorry. I don't really recall EVER having been, so why this would be shocking now is beyond me. Just as white supremists and religious enthusiasts can find like minded individuals to socialize (or organize) with, so do those who fight for social justice as they see it.

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful and concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

No woman has ever made history by being well-behaved.

You know, there would not be a single right granted to gay people, women, or "black" people had not someone BEFORE us risked enough to open their mouths and SPEAK UP-risks and all. I am not going to make this blog a singular social rant...but every once in a while I will let loose. Just as others express perhaps unpopular sentiments on their own blogs...

There are a couple of things I would die for. It makes life worth living.

3 comments:

  1. If it breaks a friendship...I mean racism, religion, or politics, then I am glad to have the "friendship" over. Really. Not a friend, or TOO different minded to avoid that kind of conflict. I can respect most political and religious different, but I don't even want to be (or respect in the least) friends with racists. No loss to me if that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:40 AM

    You go Jo, you look good on a soapbox! Can I get a witness?...?...?whoo hoo!!!!!
    Not that you need me too, but I agree.......that's why I like coming out quickly, especially to childhood friends........it weeds out the people I wouldn't want around me, right from the get go and vice versa, I guess.
    Call me: I don't have the heart to hear your voicemail message again , but I would love to hear you vent over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:19 PM

    You did it! Go woman! Am enjoying reading, even taking notes. How are the private emails rolling in? Am working on the first blog myself, but for some reason, have alot on my plate right now (go figure) Thanks for the support, and the laughs.

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..