fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What can brown do for you?

So, after working as a medical social worker for a while now...I have come to appreciate (translation: brace myself for) the whole nursing perspective...

It is a bit different than the social work perspective..

In interdisciplinary meetings I generally discuss things like safe planning for discharge, or perhaps how to connect a family and patient to resources in the community...

Nurses ALWAYS end up talking about bowel movements, frequency of bowel movements, lack of bowel movements, size color and texture of bowel movements, catheters, peri care following bowel movements, funny bowel movement stories (apparently you can dress like a bowel movement for Halloween)....I mean Holy Hell...

Then they laugh at me for squirming in my seat and holding my head in my hands...

...the conversation does not start out with bowel movements (or urinary issues as well as an equally pleasant fallback) as the primary topic-but they are NURSES...so...we may begin a discussion about a state regulatory compliance issue, but I can GUARANTEE it will somehow turn to poop...

a typical conversation might go something like this:

NURSE: I am concerned because Mrs. Smith seems reluctant to take seriously her bowel protocol and submit to a rectal suppository with enema backup.

SOCIAL WORKER: Ummm..that is because she is here for an ankle fracture.

I am a social worker. I talk about feelings. It is my job. It is my life.

So, I can encourage the nurses to talk about how they FEEL about poop...

I am pretty sure that if forced to take a stand on the issue, they are for it

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:37 PM

    There's PROTOCOL about BM's.... those are words I never thought I would see in the same sentence. For that matter, I NEVER thought I would read a blog with this shit as the subject! SHOCKING!
    Makes me constipated to think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The "word verification" here is appropriate... "quingad"....how I feel about this EXACTLY... Har-har

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 AM

    I should have shared this BM info with you earlier. I have failed you! If we had talked more openly about our own bodies, this talk at work would be more accepting to you now. I am so sorry. Please forgive me. Instead of Thrift Store shopping, we should have been talking about poop!

    I really miss you now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on the wrong floor. On our unit the talk is about sex:>)

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..