fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Relative Deprivation


In a strict academic definition, relative deprivation refers to feeling deprived in relation to what you would expect to legitimately have. It isn't just the experience of "not having." In a sociological sense, a person in poverty would not feel relatively deprived of anything, unless he or she felt an expectation to have something else. Even more specifically, it occurs when a person compares their situation to others who are similarly situated, and then feels that they have less than their peers.
I like the concept. When teaching, I used it to illustrate emotional consequences of social power shifts. For example, the women's movement and sexual revolution left many men feeling disillusioned, angry, and confused...gender roles and relations were altered fairly quickly. Women couldn't be counted on anymore to be background supports at home, to stay out of the labor market, to be deferential to men, or to assume that sexual enjoyment really belonged to men. It really angered a lot of guys (not all of course).
As a sociologist, I also believe that race is a social construction without any real objective base. President Obama is identified as "black"...despite having a "biracial" background. I suppose he could just as easily have been identified as "white"...if not for some of the physical social markers that we so quickly use to categorize and understand our social world...
So...
A "black" president. I have noticed that this seems to make a lot of "white" people very uncomfortable...laughing a little too quickly and loudly at the racial jokes out there...very nervous and paranoid...
Whether it is conscious or not, having white skin has carried with it a lot of invisible privileges in our society. Whether it is acknowledged or not (and some will deny it no matter what) white skin has carried with it some automatic access...to labor, to education, to financial, legal and medical services, to being considered the "norm" by which all others are measured as a deviation from...
...and to those "white" friends who will say "Hey, I don't get medical service either without money..." I would say, do NOT pretend that your experience in a lawyer's office, doctor's office, grocery store, bank, job interview, or even trying to find a damn "flesh colored" bandaid would be the same if you were a black person. It does make a difference, and this society is NOT free of racial bias. If we have white skin, we are BLIND to our privilege-we just experience it everyday without noticing. That is why it is invisible.
So, in this case I think relative deprivation comes when a previously privileged status is suddenly knocked down a few notches. In that case, even EQUALITY will seem like a deprivation in comparison. There are a lot of pissed off white people out there...
I included the blatantly racist graphic because I have received some crap like that in emails. I don't care to even have that stuff sent to me....I don't find it funny in the least. Just pitifully sad. And small minded....

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Hey you.... what's goin' on??? I notice you seem to be rare-in for a fight, or "discussion"... takin' on religion, politics AND NOW, race, issues in these latest blogs. The three big NO-NOs that cause many broken marriages or friendships, and are so hard for most people to discuss sanely or withoug heated words of opinion. So I can't help but wonder what is going on with you on these issues??? Very interesting thoughts, surely.... but a tad dangerous. Hope all is well....luv you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, yeah...my blog...with things on my mind...danger is just how I roll, man...and I guess people should consider why something like RACISM is controversial to begin with. Seems like a no brainer, and I am a bit fed up with stuff at the moment. Being "Quiet and appropriate" has never been my style, and if people did that, then nothing would ever change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also gotta wonder, do you leave those comments on the blogs where folks are ranting about gays and blacks taking over, and how everyone is going to hell if they don't believe the right thing? I have received one too many racist emails, watched one too many news stories, seen one to many anti-whatever bumper stickers...so I am on my own blog processing this stuff so I don't knock some idoit skinhead's block off...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:11 PM

    Yikes! Why would you be receiving racist emails, I wonder? I believe all thinking, caring people are trying their best to turn away from being racist, if they know they are, but sometimes I think the "racist" thoughts or fears are deeply ingrained from childhood in various cultures, and they are just hard to shake... be they right or wrong in current thinking. Taking a broad view of history & time, it can be understood how various races or countries grew up not trusting others from foreign lands & cultures that threatened them, and even in modern times, people just tend to feel safer and more comfortable with others of their race or "kind". It's now seen as racism, but was not always understood that way. As a Sociologist, you study root causes for attitudes & emotions, and I would think you would be more tolerant or understanding of differences of opinion on these matters. ? You, after all, think you are right, and others who think differently are wrong. They, in turn, think that of themselves and that YOU are the wrong one. For such strongly held beliefs, wars are founght and millions of lives are lost. Tolerance is the main thing missing in this world, along with more love & understanding. We all see injustices on many levels in society, and ALL have to learn to live with others of all races & beliefs. But, it's your blog and you can rant all you want.... it's good to rant,... I do it often too. Just maybe try alittle tolerance along the way....

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..