fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Boomerangs, basketball hoops, raccoons, and an airborn plastic Jesus




WOW! Those winds were something else! I had to brave the wind in the dark, when the gusts were at their peak. It became almost comical...

The morning started when I was in the livingroom (at 2:30am) and the power suddenly went down. The cats were scared from the sound of the wind howling down the chimney, and they were mewing in tiny voices and hiding behind furniture...I could hear things blowing down the street...I lit a candle and continued my morning routine. I went outside to warm up my truck, and there were three college guys in the street (maybe they were the things blowing down it). They saw my flashlight and called out to me not to approach any vehicles, cause they could "blow up"...

I asked them why. They thought there were downed power lines in the street. I flashed my beam down, and saw that there was audio tape strewn around-which was catching the moonlight and reflecting a bit...the guys started laughing and came up to me. They were a bit intoxicated, and in a VERY jolly mood. They asked me what I was doing, and I told them I was going to work. They said something akin to "Dude, you are so brave!" I told them I was scared. All three hugged me. It was tender and beautiful, and then one said, "Dudes! Let's go walk around and see what's falling over!" They stumbled off, and I am fairly certain they are among the things that fell over.

Anyway-the rest of the morning was just lovely.

I would throw a paper. The wind would catch it and return it in my direction, where it would land behind me. Once the paper hit me in the head after I threw it.

As I walked, I had to avoid flying branches, rolling trash cans, and at one point (I'm not kidding) a flying plastic baby Jesus from someone's Nativity scene. I saw the Nativity scene on someone's front lawn. Joseph, Mary, the Wise Men, and a bunch of sheep were all in an unsightly pile. Baby Jesus was at 36,000 feet, headed towards Canada.

I also had to avoid TWO basketball hoops-those portable kind weighted with sand in their bases-that had fallen into the road. All in all it was a very odd morning. We were very fortunate in this area, however. There wasn't too much damage, and apparently no injuries-despite those 65 mph gusts, and sustained winds of 35-40mph.

On a calmer note, yesterday I saw a raccoon on the route. I thought he was a big cat from a distance, until I caught him square in the headlights. He just stood and stared at me. He would waddle a bit down the sidewalk, then stop and stare at me again. He was really very cute. I wanted to give him a Cheeze-It.

Little C and her friend Bentley are here. The cats survived the wind storm, but the attack of the first graders might be too much. Yesterday we went bowling, to see Happy Feet, and we made our own pizzas for dinner (including grating the cheese)...

After that the kids decorated Christmas cookies with 47 kinds of sprinkles and icings. I also got them some gel food colorings, which they proceeded to apply to their teeth with their fingers for the cool effect of rainbow choppers. Right now they are watching Cheetah Girls 2 (a Disney series) and trying hard not to jump on our bed..which for 6 and 3/4 year olds is a monumental task...

Gotta go join Romper Room! Hope your day is free of hurricane force winds.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:18 PM

    "I don't care if it rains or freezes cause I got my plastic Jesus, ridin' on the dashboard of my car....................." Everybody sing along...."There's flies on you and there's flies on me, but there ain't no flies on old JC riding on the dashboard of my carrrrrrrrrrrr, woohoo!"
    I love sing alongs.
    So you were like in a live version of drunk, religious frogger? COOL! Glad you made it home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:24 PM

    "All I want for Christmas is my new "JOJO MAGAZINE" subscription!!!! I love your blog but I'd love it even better in print media ...... so I can take it on the road!! You have squoze the bah hum-bugs from me and I'm makin' cupcakes and Chx & Dumplins' for Janet's Christmastime birthday today! Eat well & be merry! HoHoHo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:26 PM

    UUMMMM, you said PLASTIC JESUS... this is absolutely HYSTERICAL, and I think we saw Jesus going by at 37,000 feet..."look Joe, it's a flying Jesus, but I distinctly see what looks like a red cape"....NO, WAIT... I think I have my superhereos mixed up!
    What did you think of Happy Feet? Did Conner like it? I thought she would love the dancing and the penguins and the snow scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:27 PM

    Loved the alien abduction references...thought of you the whole time.

    Maybe it is illegal alien abductions.

    Geez.
    Loves ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:28 PM

    Damn it Janet! Lucky you!!!! I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:33 AM

    It blew really hard here too. A transformer behind our hoose blew. What scared Coco Chanel the most were the police that insisted on playing with their sirens. I was at work though. It blew me into Canada and out of Canada. No passport or ID included.

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..