fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Existential Angst and Other Venereal Diseases



Ok....existential angst isn't a venereal disease. I made that up.

This post isn't even about existential angst, which is a good name for a rock band...if you ad the suffix "er" after it.

Anyhoo...

This post is about kids who scream for toys in Walmart.

Sort of.

It's a post about the nature and fragility of trust...and a basic psychological principle.

"Mom told me 99 times if I screamed for a toy and threw a tantrum, we were going out to the car. 99 times I screamed , and 99 times she took me directly to the car. I didn't get the toy. I got in trouble. But last week mom gave in. It worked....so I'm prepping for my hissy fit in aisle five. GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip, here I come."

The kid will only remember the ONE time it worked. Not the ninety nine times you consistently showed you meant business, and the consequence was for sure. The goal would be to end the tantrums, of course. But, even ONE variation from the plan...even ONE "Crisis Shelter Barbie with matching bathrobe and shopping cart" won through an embarrassing display that made you wish you had remembered to bring the duct tape...that is ALL the kiddo will remember.

Trust is like that. Especially for those who have been damaged by placing trust in someone who hurt them You can be consistent and loving for years.. It only takes a moment to lose it.

Broken trust can be repaired, but it is a long and hard fought road. Break it again and again...that person is long gone.

Remember that the next time you yell to your friend or family member across the store, "HEY JANE SMITH! I FOUND THE PAINFUL RECTAL ITCH CREAM  YOU WANTED ON AISLE TWO!"

Some things just can't be unsaid. Know what I'm saying?





No comments:

Post a Comment

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..