fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Monday, February 18, 2013

Herby and the Hoodie


It's weird what we hang onto when feeling scared and broken. Some people might have a favorite blanket. Others might have a comfortable pair of slippers, or a one eyed teddy bear (who is lacking depth perception) from childhood that they cling to.

I bonded with a mouse. A real mouse. I named him Herby.

I came to Springfield with the intention of re-opening my thriftstore, helping my ex and her son restore the beautiful 100 year old homes she had purchased, and generally just to start again. I was to have the "rental" home to stay in while we fixed up the commercial building she had also purchased. When she called to have the gas turned on in the house, they discovered that the furnace was not in working condition. So, there was no heat during a time when it was getting to be twenty degrees and under at night. I was sleeping on a twin mattress set placed directly on the floor, and would crawl in at night wearing three shirts, a hooded jacket and a down parka....with lots of fuzzy blankets heaped on top...

One night I awoke in the dark to the sensation of something brushing against my face. Thinking either "SPIDER!" or "RANDOM CHARACTER FROM A STEPHEN KING NOVEL!" I jolted awake. I started slapping my head and neck. In a few seconds I realized what was going on, because the thing that frightened me so badly was trapped  in my sweatshirt hood.

It was a panicked mouse.

As I slowly came to and calmed a bit, Herby had made his way from my seatshirt hood to my jacket hood, and was running around my head trying to find the exit. He was actually squeaking, probably additionally frightened by my hair...(anyone who knows me understands this fear).

He finally got free and ran lightening speed along the wall, disappearing under my door.

We had scared the shit out of each other (in his case, literally...I found the evidence in my hood)...and you would think he would have just been thankful for his second chance, and stayed in his little mouse hole with his little swiss cheese wedge. (cartoons....too many...I know)

But, no.

I left the light on this time as I went back to sleep...and it wasn't long before his little mouse nose poked back under the door, and he had made his way back into the room.

He did this repeatedly for several nights. He was a brave little sucker. He would come right up to the edge of the bed and look at me. Of course, when I even flinched he would squeak and run for it.

I think he was freezing, and that first night had simply found a warm spot...probably thought he had hit the jackpot...I mean,  it was so cold you could literally see your breath. There I was wrapped in blankets like a big warm burrito...

My ex had offered to put a few traps around, but I declined. Somehow, I found Herby to be comforting in an otherwise stressful and humorless situation.

Herby had found other places to explore when it warmed up, and I didn't see him anymore.

But, thank you Herby...wherever you are.  

1 comment:

  1. Still giggling ... tell Herbie hi for me if you see him. I am fashioning him a set of swim trunks for upcoming spring break! :-)

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..