fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Parking Angel


There was a woman...a vividly unique and unusual woman...who traveled the streets of downtown Anchorage in a customized PINK meter maid car, dressed in a pink tutu. She would drive just ahead of the parking authority police and would drop nickels into the expired meters of those about to receive tickets. She did this in protest of what she viewed as unfair practices of the Anchorage Parking Authority, and she did this in rain, snow, sleet, or hail. As you can probably imagine, these sorts of conditions occurred a lot in Alaska. USA Today did a story on her. So did the National Enquirer. I think she liked the National Enquirer attention the best...

This same woman saw everyone through the most non-judgmental eyes that you could imagine...caring not the least if someone was dirty, or homeless, or an alcoholic. She would pull the last dime out of her own pocket to make sure someone had something to eat-or even a drink if they were shaking in withdrawal. She would sit and talk with people for hours. As a result of this genuine kindness and lack of pretense, she has accumulated throughout her life the most diverse and unlikely group of friends...politicians to prostitutes...the wealthy to the homeless..she just did not measure people by anything other than who they presented themselves to be in their hearts. She inspired people to action. She infected people with her enthusiasm. She had talents she never gave herself credit for.

Her manner was like a hurricane in a car accident...frenzied, fast, hard to follow, sometimes even painful to be around. Her mind would race, filled with brilliant ideas. She was impulsive, kind, and somehow tortured. She would often take care of other people more than she would take care of herself. She was hilarious and sad, all at once. She was impossible to capture with words. She would have probably been hard to capture with a tranquilizer gun, super glue, and duct tape.

She was my friend, and she saved my ass so many times. She made me laugh. She was a genuinely good person.

She died yesterday.

Linny...I hope you knew how much people loved you, and how deeply you impacted people's lives....I wish you had given yourself the same kindness and generosity you bestowed on others.

Just knowing you were in the world, running in five directions at once, gave me comfort. Your absence is heavy, and hard to even think about. I love you Linny. You bonehead.

Alaska Daily News

5 comments:

  1. a most heartfelt tribute, ty for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:31 PM

    OH NO.... LINNY WAS ONE OF A KIND, AND SUCH A UNIQUE AND WONDERFUL PERSON. AS I READ YOUR TRIBUTE TO HER, WHICH YOU SHOULD SEND TO THE ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS!!!!, THE TEARS ARE FLOWING FOR THE WORLD'S LOSS OF ONE OF IT'S BEST PEOPLE. HOW INCREDIBLY SAD! What happened to her? I hope she didn't suffer! I HATE that the "parking fairy" has left us! So sorry, Jo Jo... I know you loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Sorry to hear, I only met her in passing, but I know she was well loved, now I know better why.
    Beautiful tribute Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I just want the whole world to know how much I love you. How much I appreciate you. How much you inspire me to be the woman I have always strived to be. How much your support means to me...no matter what I happen to be going through.... disputes with my family to lil Charlie not letting me pet him, u support me. I am the luckiest woman alive, and I thank God every day for leading me to you! I love you now and I love you tomorrow and I love you infinite.
    Your wife, and best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:28 PM

    Joanna Joanna Danna,

    I'm sorry for your loss (which is clearly Anchorage's loss and really a loss for a world that can use more beauty and kindness in it). They had a nice article about your Parking Fairy and her sister -- who donned a matching BLUE tutu for her parking rounds -- in the Anchorage Daily News this week.

    Thanks for cueing us all into the beauty and sadness.

    shelf out.

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..