fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

They can horses, don't they?






Sometimes kids say things that make you almost blow french fries out of your nose (if you happen to be eating those things at the time...)

Little C and I were having dinner together, and our conversation turned to horses. She wanted to know how we originally got Twizzler (the Twiz), our recently departed horse. When I told her that our friend Spice Grl had bought him at an auction, Little C remembered that Spice Grl often saved horses. I was trying to explain how "canners" also bid on horses because in some countries people like to eat them, and so they try to buy them cheap to make cans of horse meat, like roast beef in cans from cows, etc. etc.

Little C responded with, "Well that's good, except it could hurt the horse."

I had to agree. OMG.

Little C has taken up her keen interest again, and has checked out a pile of books from the library about horses. She is learning all kinds of things, and constantly turning our conversations back to getting another horse. I have decided that we will start with lessons here in Pullman again, and if her interest persists-we will investigate further. Maybe 4H. She is old enough now that finding similarly interested peers might catch fire. I can't think of a healthier activity to get involved in. If we get into 4H, then we might make connections for boarding. I will also have to see if Spam can promote interests beyond Barbie and Jehovah...so we will see.

I had a second interview today for the Family Services Manager position. It seemed to go extremely well, and it would be a PERFECT position for me. Now I just have to hope that my previous job does not sink me on a reference. It was a bit tense when I left, as they didn't take kindly to my giving notice....

Above be some more pictures from recent times...

5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Joanna Joanna Danna! Frozen fingers crossed.

    And Little C has an excellent point: it *could* hurt to be chopped up, canned, and eaten. But one mustn't assume things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:25 AM

    I bet they won't even check your references........especially since the interviews went so well. Even if they do, I can't imagine anyone giving you a bad one. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    Horses in a can........must be a big can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:19 PM

    It's got to be the understatement of the year! Hilarious! Those horseys will get all claustrophobic in those cans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Older horses like Twizzler, are made into "canned" cat food. Younger, fat horses are shipped to Canada, butchered like a cow or a pig, then are cut up into steak and roast portions and shipped overseas. France is the largest importer of horse meat. Horses who have served all their lives then happen to get "old" are the ones that end up in cans. Some spicy people try to save as many as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Ummm...yes. That is kinda what I said, minus the detailed specifics about how every portion of older horses are utilized...didn't think Little C needed a microscopic accounting, but I was aware of the France import issue...and I am very, very glad that there are people in the world who make efforts to save those beautiful, big hearted animals...the point of the entry was to share Little C's understatement, as it was kinda cute...

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..