fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Can I vote on YOUR marriage now?




So, Proposition 8 has been a pretty big deal in our neighboring state.

We have friends who crossed the border to get married when the state Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in California. By "legally" marrying, her previous divorce settlement (with her ex-husband) was impacted, and he no longer had to pay her support. I wonder how that will play out now.

I guess 18,000 couples got married. Now it has been recently "overturned" by a citizen initiated referendum. All of those couples are in a legal limbo-their married status having been taken from them after the fact. Legally REALLY interesting.

I must say, I am not sure of the wisdom of putting civil rights issues up for a popular vote. Do minority groups ever win out in such situations?
There are bumper stickers on a few of my co-worker's cars. They say lovely things about killing babies and how McCain should be President, and marriage should be determined by genitalia. I think it is quite interesting that if a person should actually have a gender reassignment surgery, then they could legally get married-since their gender is legally altered.
Since this isn't about hate, then it would be safe for me to get a bumper sticker or two for my vehicle too? Maybe something like "Equal rights are not special rights," or "Don't like gay marriage? Don't have one." It will probably take about 30 minutes for my truck to be vandalized.
Maybe not...
















2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Speech IS NOT REALLY "Free"...if you put on those bumper stickers, you invite trouble...it's just a sad REALITY. If you do anything like that, I will be worried so much...all it takes is one fanatic to ruin a life forever. And what's the point...most minds are made up already, and a bumpter sticker won't change them... idiots stay idiots for life, in most cases. One injustice at a time... at least now a 1/2 black guy can be the Pres..... who would have guessed this could happen just 10 years ago? So there's hope for the rest of the prejudices to fall too...it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile, STAY SAFE... protect your precious life. We love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Joanna Joanna Danna,

    I'm so disgusted with CA's prop 8 results and AZ's iniative 102 (same damn thing) results. I had not entertained the likelihood that it was going to come to this, but the bigots have left us little direction to go.

    I now propose that we commute all legally recognized marriages to civil unions and leave the "marriage" title to the religions.

    I don't need a damn marriage. But I do need the civil protections that legal marriage affords. Just as all committed partners do. It is mean-spirited to pretend we all need, deserve, and thrive with anything less.

    I'm sick of bigots lumping my partnership in with those they wish to "protect" from the possible misconception that they are loving, full unions like those shared by gays and lesbians. So shove it: they can have my marriage back. And they owe us all civil unions.

    thbbbt.

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..