fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around

fireweed -the most non-whiney flower around
no pansies allowed

Popular Posts

Monday, January 11, 2010

Kung Fu Crabs...Dinner AND a Show!






So, after a hard day of work, my closest friend here (J.D) was driving with me back to the house. We went around the port direction, and he suddenly detoured to where the fishing boats were docked. He smiled and told me he would be right back, and disappeared down onto the docks.

He returned carrying a bucket, which he placed in the back of the truck. He informed me that he had gotten two crabs from his friends who had just returned from the crabbing season. They came right out of the boat holding tank...

I love crab (it is illegal in Alaska to dislike seafood, unless you have an allergy and will puff up like a blowfish)...but I was a little bit concerned about having to face the inconvenient truth of critters I had witnessed being alive moments beofre ending up on my plate.

J.D. said he would handle everything, and took the bucket upstairs. I continued working, and I heard a lot of banging around coming from above. Finally J.D. called out that dinner was ready. I went upstairs, and J.D. had prepared a fantastic meal,.complete with drawn lemon butter to dip the poor things in.

Did I mention that I love crab?

It was incredible...tender, sweet, steaming hot right from the shell. I made short work of mine, and when we were done (when I finally managed to look up from my plate) I noticed that the bucket was tipped over in the middle of the room, a hairbrush lay on the floor, and other things were oddly strewn around.

I asked J.D. what happened, and he told me that he let the crabs loose while he got everything ready for cooking. Apparently they had quite a  time skittering around the livingroom, terrorizing my poor cat (who is part chicken anyway and generally afraid of air molecules), bumping into things, knocking things over, making a racket with their shells, and attmpting to fight their own reflections in the slider door window glass.  

I guess one of them even watched CNN for a little while, and attempted to adjust my equalizer.

So then we ate them.

I was downstairs, and missed the whole show..

Who needs video games when you have your dinner to entertain you?



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:47 AM

    What do you suppose their last defiant crabby (or is it more PC to say grouchy in this case?) words were? "Bite me" probably wasn't the smartest choice! Too bad for them, nice to be on this end of the food chain, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. UUUMMM... you said you had crabs in your livingroom! Guess that's better then in the BEDROOM, but still....

    It jumped out at us in the story that 1. you are working again, and 2. your closest friend here is a HE. So now, inquiring minds want to know... details, details.... *the devil may be in them, but what the h....)You sound so much better, and we are so happy that's the case. Continue hanging in there... remember we LOVE YOU MUCHLY....

    ReplyDelete

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY..